Friday, August 17, 2012

My Book

Did I mention I am taking a stab at writing a book? I started to consider this daunting task many years ago while studying for my graduate degree. I had spent many, many hours on the computer for research papers, when one day it occurred to me how incredibly useful the computer could be.

My dad and his twin brother, Ray, had researched the family history and put together a soft covered manuscript of the McInerny family.  As I poured through the pages and photographs, I was left wondering what these people from Ireland were really like. My curiosity was tingled and I wanted to know more. Then I began to think about when my kids were little and the stories I told them about Minnesota. I decided to begin putting the stories to paper.

My goal is not to write a best seller. I will leave that to my more articulate family members. Rather, the purpose of the book is to give my grandchildren and their children a sense of who their grandfather was, other than a name from long ago. I want future generations of McInery's, Koyama's and Ali's to know about Paul D. McInerny the person.

I would hope the book would take a place of comfort in their homes, perhaps next to faded year books or old magazines. The type of book that you would pull from the shelf on a rainy day, blow the dust off the cover and sit down with a cup of tea or coffee. Catch a glimpse of who I was and read a few of my most intimate thoughts and fears.

What started out as a story of my past life soon turned to something of a journal. Someone asked when I would publish my work. I am not ready for that, for I make additions and changes monthly. I feel there is still much to write about. Things that haven't happened, yet. And there are the many photographs to sort through.

I suspect I will publish my book sometime in my 80's. If my time on earth comes unexpectedly before, then it is my hope that my children pick up the pieces and send it to one of the many online publication services and distribute a few copies to family members.

Until then, I shall write on!