Thursday, March 25, 2010

My Guitar

Yesterday, I removed the strings from my Gibson ES-335TD and decided to give it a good work over. I removed the control knobs and polished the pick-ups and other chrome pieces. I found some oak oil polish and started the process of getting the wood to look like it did when I first bought it back in 1972-73. It is still in pretty good shape considering its age and use in a 50's band. This is the instrument that I used to record songs that I wrote.

I remember working with Chris Castenada at his studio over by Lake Nakomis. I believe it was called the Half Moon Studio, but don't quote me on that. I would walk from my parents house, in the snow with my guitar, to the studio to record my songs. After it had been out in the cold Minnesota winter and before we could begin recording, I had to open the case and let the instrument slowly acclimate to room temperature.

A few years ago, I actually took it to a shop to have it worked on: straighten the neck, new strings, the usual tune up for an old instrument. The older the guitar gets, the less I trust it to a stranger. If anyone knows of a connoisseur of Gibson guitars that really knows how to check them over, I would love to hear from you.

Well, back to another session of polishing.